In Response to Nancy’s Post: Why I Hate Video

I just wanted to share a post from Nancy from Bright Wings. She gave some reasons why she hates videos from a customer perspective.  And I agree for all the same reasons.

Now, it’s not really hating the video itself, its more about “disliking” the way the product is implemented using video. I’d like for you to please think about her feedback before jumping on the video creation bandwagon and think about your customer for a moment. Here I will provide some solutions:

1. Not being able to start and stop the video to review it at a later time.

In longer videos, there will be times your viewer will need to stop the video for a moment to do something else. They might return a few minutes later, they might return the following week. But having to sit through the whole video AGAIN (especially if you’re at the 45 minute mark of a 50 minute video), is not very cool.  You want to be sure to have a playbar on your video that includes a play/pause button and scrollbar (the little doohickey that you can slide back and forth).

2.Video-only products with multiple, long videos.

So you have a lot of information to share, but it’s only in video format. That means your viewer will have to sit in front of their computer for a number of hours to get your information. Think about it, is that really fair?  How will they refer back to something they remember you saying in your video? Try providing transcripts with your video. This is much easier for people to be able to open the PDF and search for specific information they want to review, allows them to get your information while away from their computers, and even better – provide an extra added value to your product.

3. Videos take too long to load.

This issue is due to a combination of the size/length of the video, how it was made, the quality, the format and the software used to create it and even where and how it’s stored online!  It’s a stuggle for all people who create video for use online.  Much of the issue comes from people making their videos too long and at a high quality. Sure we want to provide lots of information and we want it to look good, but if you are delivering online you will need to compromise.  I won’t go into details about all the different options because that’s outside of the scope of this discussion, but my suggestion is to play around with shorter videos, smaller dimensions and lowering the quality.

4. Videos stop in the middle of playing at times.

Again, this is related to #3 above. But this also has to do a lot with the server and “bandwidth” that the video is being run from.  Depending on the format your video is saved in, you can have your video run from a “streaming” video server or media server.  It’s like a webhost that only hosts videos. You get speed because that is what their servers are made for.  Many times people will stream large videos onto their own personal shared hosting accounts.  This can work, but with great decline in performance and loading. My suggestion is to find a low cost video streaming service if you plan on creating a lot of video products. Also, keep in mind that not all of your customers will have high speed computers or connections and that will cause a lot of stalling with videos as well.

I hope this helps to understand some things about video from a customer’s perspective. We always think about it from our perspective as a content creator – but in the end, its really the customer’s product because we already know the stuff!

Comments on this entry are closed.

Martha Giffen
Twitter:
June 5, 2010, 1:42 am

Gwen, you have hit on what we need to remember from the customer’s point of view. I haven’t gotten into video much yet but am heading that way. I am saving this info! Thanks :)
.-= Martha Giffen´s last blog ..Crushing It! =-.

Sally K
Twitter:
June 5, 2010, 2:52 am

I agree! The technology should serve, not get in the way.

There are ways to use video on a YouTube channel, link to pages, so that people can find and view, without the pitfalls described here.

Why video should be used right, not just because it exists…
.-= Sally K´s last blog ..The Pack Leader Mindset =-.

Gonzalo J. Suárez
Twitter:
June 5, 2010, 11:21 am

Nice pointed! The first point is a powerful one. If you did not put control bar, you will lose a lot of viewers…
.-= Gonzalo J. Suárez´s last blog ..Right on the campaign =-.

Gwen Tanner
Twitter:
June 5, 2010, 10:07 pm

In response to Gonzalo’s comment:

Hi Gonzalo,

I don’t understand why anyone would not put a playbar on their video. I saw a sales page either last week or week before last. Unfortunately I can’t remember who’s it was – but I think his video was maybe 15 mins long. There was no playbar, I couldn’t scroll through to the “point” so I just left. I think they feel if a playbar is not present, you will still sit and watch. I don’t know.

I’m going to start keeping examples of this stuff!

Thanks for visiting,
Gwen

Melanie Kissell
Twitter:
June 5, 2010, 7:35 pm

Some of the facts you’ve shared here, Gwen, are the very reasons I haven’t focused much at all on videos. After all, I’m a customer, too! I purchase other internet marketer’s products and programs. I really dislike video format where I can’t control when to start and stop or go back and just replay a portion of it. Also, I simply do not have time to sit and view a video presentation that’s an hour long. That’s way too much time for me to devote at one sitting. Even thirty minutes is a stretch for me!

Melanie
#blog30
.-= Melanie Kissell´s last blog ..Oh For The Love Of God! It’s Just A Blog Post. =-.

Gwen Tanner
Twitter:
June 5, 2010, 10:04 pm

In response to Melanie’s comment:

Hi Melanie,

I’m so glad everyone is expressing their opinions about video! This is great, I’ll be glad to give some advice for making better video products!

Thanks for visiting,
Gwen

MJ Schrader June 5, 2010, 9:51 pm

Gwen,

I do not like videos Sam I am, I do not like them with Green Eggs and Ham. :)

From a sellers point of view. I had 2 videos. Sales were not that hot. In instructional videos you have to go extremely slow so viewers can see what is happening. However this means it is extremely slow to views who know certain steps.
From there, it takes a long time for it format. By the way, this is very memory intensive so your computer is tied up. Next is uploading it. That’s a lot of memory as well. Course if you are providing it for only your customers you need to secure it, which is not as easy, nor is making certain it is available for them to view.

As a customer. I do not like listening to this story that doesn’t seem relevant or this person talking slower than molasses. I don’t like not catching that part where the sound wasn’t working. Nor do I like listening to one section over and over because it’s not clear.

Please give me the PDF. I will skim through the steps I know. I will study the parts I don’t. When the dog needs out, I will get up and come back to where I was. Next week when I am trying to implement what you told me, “but what was right after this step???” can easily be answered by quickly scrolling through the PDF rather than trying to remember where on the video that scene was. I will print out worksheets or confusing pages. I like that.

Course that’s just my opinion :) and this is an issue I don’t mind being very vocal about.
~ MJ Schrader
.-= MJ Schrader´s last blog ..Everyone is talking WordPress… Why? =-.

Gwen Tanner
Twitter:
June 5, 2010, 10:00 pm

In response to MJ’s comment:

Hi MJ,

You make such good points! You are so right, a lot of them will tell their life story for a good 30-45 mins (even though it’s already on the blog and in their autoresponder).
Relevancy is very important.

You make good points from the seller’s perspective as well – in an online market your customers are so varied (age, language, technology experience, content knowledge) that its very difficult to know if you’re going too fast, too slow, not covering enough. Not to mention blurry or too small to see.

They have their place for sure, but you have to do it the right way.

Thanks for visiting,
Gwen

Henry Peña
Twitter:
June 6, 2010, 2:21 pm

I absolutely can’t stand videos w/o the controllers.

When I find one that I want to watch but with no controllers, I usually just download the video first and watch it from my desktop player… but it’s a hassle.
.-= Henry Peña´s last blog ..The Ultimate Social Media Personal Branding Platform by Pro Manager =-.

Lynn Jordan
Twitter:
June 6, 2010, 5:43 pm

I’m not fond of videos either. It seems that everyone is using them these days for everything.

I don’t like the ones that auto-play, since I seldom wear my headset. I also don’t like it when the controls are missing. I want to know how much time I have to comment to the video, and I want to be able to start and stop it.

As a writer who helps other writers with technology, I much prefer the written word. When showing how to do technical tasks, a written document with screen shots work much better. The reader can follow along on their computer without pausing and switching screens.

Lynn
.-= Lynn Jordan´s last blog ..Are You Having Trouble Reaching Your Writing Goals? =-.

The Previous Post –