What Is an Information Product? Really…

An information “product” is basically something that allows you to share information with someone else.  The information can be your own knowledge or expertise, or information you have compiled in an organized or interesting way (even if you didn’t write it).  It’s simply a way to transfer information to someone else. Just think of it as a way of communicating ideas. It is not just an ebook.  It seems that the assumption that information product = ebook.

Let’s quickly list out some info product delivery methods. These are the ways you can communicate information:

Ebooks: These are-text based can be written and delivered in a number of formats such as PDF, MS Word documents, .exe files, compiled hyper-text (or HTML pages) and so on.
Videos: These are visual and usually consist of images, animations and audio.  They can be delivered online, on DVD or CD or made available for download.  Typical formats are .swf, .mp4, .mov, etc.
Audio: These are usually only audio that are playable either online on a website or downloadable. They can also be delivered on CD or made available for download. Typical formats are .mp3 and .wav.

So we have text to read, video to watch and audio to listen to. When someone gets the urge to create a new info product, they probably pick one or the other – and most likely they will choose to write an ebook.  Ebooks are thought to be the easiest because all you have to do is type, and everything you need is probably already on your computer. But just by changing the names,we can come up with a list of different types of products:

Ebook Product

Recorded Interview
Podcast
Recorded Seminar
Telecast
Audio Course
Audio Training Program

I guess my point is, you have the basics: ebook (text), video and audio. It’s up to you to determine your product type and how you want to deliver it to your customers. So think out of the box, and hop over to Amazon.com and look at how other authors are describing their books (a/k/a printed info products)!

Comments on this entry are closed.

Jaime
April 13, 2010, 9:36 pm

Thanks Gwen! This was a great post! I got some new ideas, now I’m off to brainstorm..Your Awesome! Thanks..
.-= Jaime´s last blog ..Must Have Wordpress Plugins =-.

Karen
May 30, 2010, 5:48 am

Ok, Gwen. I grabbed my notebook and wrote these all down because they’re so darn great! Thank you. I’m getting downright itchy to make products of all kinds now.

Gwen Tanner
May 31, 2010, 5:32 pm

In response to Karen’s comment:

Hi Karen,

I can’t wait to see what you’re going to choose and come up with! I know they will be great for sure.

Thanks for visiting,
Gwen

Linda
June 2, 2010, 10:46 pm

I am a little tough on what I read… info overload. However you have a new fan. Terrific information without the ususal BS. Thank you so very much for giving so much and being so straight to the point.
Linda

Gwen Tanner
June 2, 2010, 10:53 pm

In response to Linda’s comment:

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the compliment and for stopping by! Good luck with the challenge.

Thanks for visiting,
Gwen

Mandy Allen
August 7, 2010, 7:10 am

Hi Gwen, a good summary, and I love the little graph, great content and a good idea to divide the different mediums up like that.

Enjoy the journey.

Mandy
Mandy Allen´s last post ..How do you relax

Gwen Tanner
August 7, 2010, 9:35 pm

In response to Mandy’s comment:

Hi Mandy!!

It’s so great to see you!! Glad to see you like my graph :)
I hope you come back soon.

Thanks for visiting,
Gwen

Randy Smith
August 7, 2010, 7:10 am

Hi Gwen,

Nice straight forward post :)

Another comment worth adding to your ‘think outside the box’ scenario is for your readers to look at things they have already done or got, and how they could be re done to create another product or advanced produict.

EG – a text ebook could be turned into an audio product or a video product..

This way it would appeal to more buyers who may prefer one or other type of learning/instruction :)

Hope that helps

Randy
Randy Smith´s last post ..Warning – Guru’s Are Like Governments!

Gwen Tanner
August 7, 2010, 9:34 pm

In response to Randy’s comment:

Hi Randy,

You give great advice :) It’s a good idea to repurpose whenever you can to get an additional product complete quickly. The work is 1/2 done once you finish the first product – the followup products should be a piece of cake whether you’re transcribing audio/video or recording text!

Thanks for visiting,
Gwen

Barry from The Newbies Guide
August 7, 2010, 10:21 am

Hi Gwen, I sell information products on eBay and from my eBook website and have recently created my first eBook.

For my second product it’ll be in 2 parts, an eBook as a give away and a video series (showing how to:) as a sale item.

I think where we can we should try to use a combination of eBook, video and/or Audio if possible.

Your frame of ideas is really helpful.

Regards, Barry

I see that you have joined in the 100 blog comment challenge, i’ve added your details to the contributors page on my blog and have added you to the twitter list as well.

Gwen Tanner
August 7, 2010, 9:31 pm

In response to Barry’s comment:

Hi Barry,

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your comment about what you’re doing with your ebook. I hope you share your second product with us once it’s complete.

I found your list on Twitter, thanks for adding me!!

Thanks for visiting,
Gwen

Pete carr
August 8, 2010, 2:33 am

Hi Gwen,
It amazes me that people don’t do video and audio for their Ebooks, it probably trebles the value of it. The Ebook is the hard part, once that is written, the rest is straight forward.
You have raised some very good points here.
Pete

Yvonne A Jones
August 8, 2010, 10:19 am

Gwen, I refer to my car as my mobile university and while I really enjoy sitting down with my pen and highlighter to read an e-book, there are times when I don’t have the time. At time like that I really appreciate the creator of the e-book or report having it in an audio format for download so I can listen in the car.

Changing the name, as you suggested, does create added dimensions and make it even more interesting especially if one is creating e-books or special reports regularly. This is a great post, delivered in your marvelous teaching style.

BTW, I saw from your comment that the problem was not my website, but that they have no created an avatar. Thanks.
Yvonne
Yvonne A Jones´s last post ..Direct Sales Tips- Following-up with Customers Build Relationships and Customer Loyalty

Terry Conti
August 8, 2010, 11:55 pm

Hi Gwen, I like your post, very good information you wrote. I’d like to add, you can even do ebook format, video and maybe audio as a bounus. The point here is you can be creative and think outside the box and use all three methods and increase the value of your ebook.

Terry Conti
Terry Conti´s last post ..Sell your ebook on its own or put it on Clickbank What do you think

Jeff Wise
August 9, 2010, 12:54 pm

Thank you for the post Gwen! I really like some of those ideas. Are you saying that changing the name of a product from e-book to Training Manual might stand out more to potential customers?
Jeff Wise´s last post ..Best Baseball Batting

Stan Young
August 10, 2010, 6:29 am

Hey Gwen
Excellent post. You have put together some interesting ideas on how to put together different products by changing the methods of presentation and by listing all the different names for similar products. Your advice to check out Amazon .com is a great idea I am always looking for new ideas on how to present material. I am looking for ideas on how to improve my video making skills as I believe video blogging is the way to go. What do you think?
Stan Young´s last post ..Technology is changing our world-Entrepreneurs- Did you know-are you ready for the Challenge

Bryan McHeyzer from The Internet Intern August 10, 2010, 9:58 pm

Hey Gwen,
Good to meet you here on the 100 blog challenge…it has been an awesome few days getting around everyones blogs.

Like your post…no I have not created my own ebook…next project.

Have book marked you and will return.

Cheers
Bryan
Bryan McHeyzer@The Internet Intern´s last post ..Increase Your Squeeze Page Conversion Rate!

the Success Ladder August 11, 2010, 4:22 am

Thank you very much for sharing this. I have subscribed to your RSS feed. Please keep up the good work.

Cheryl from backlinks
August 11, 2010, 10:58 am

Hello Gwen,
Good job on packing a lot of information into a short post. I love how you gave us different terms to describe how to package the products we create. ebook has become so generic!
Cheryl@backlinks´s last post ..Link Bait – Posts That Get Stumbled

Cheryl from backlinks
August 11, 2010, 11:24 am

I love your latest comments column! How cool to see each commentator’s smiling face. Very friendly!
Cheryl@backlinks´s last post ..Jane Austen’s Fight Club for Ladies Who Love to Bash

Jason Ser from The Most Powerful Inspirational Quote Of Your Life
August 14, 2010, 4:10 am

Hello Gwen,

Thanks for your simple but informative post here.
Is really nice to see someone broke down the basic of an information product to it’s simplest form. Like what you wrote, it used to be assumes as an ebook when people talk about information products a few years back. Now everything changes with the advancement we had to add videos and audios as part of the product element.

Thanks again for sharing.

Cheers
Jason Ser

Stuart Turnbull
August 15, 2010, 5:36 pm

Hi Gwen

A combination of each of the different media you describe is the ideal info product for me.

This way I can choose how I want to learn.

Providing this choice when we create our products will help us sell more and at higher prices.
Stuart Turnbull´s last post ..We need your ‘make money online’ ideas!

Dave Whittle from resale rights August 16, 2010, 6:06 am

Hi Gwen,

Nice post, well put together.

I find the post and the comments quite interesting with regards to the use of eBooks, video and audio.

A tricky one this, as it is now very fashionable to use video.

I know a top marketer who uses nothing else but sometimes I would just like to read the product and slowly digest it instead of listening to a long video.

Perhaps as you say, it might be smart to provide all the options when selling your product.

Regard,

Dave
Dave Whittle @resale rights´s last post ..Resale Rights Products Explained

Gwen Tanner
August 18, 2010, 6:50 pm

In response to Dave’s comment:

Hi Dave,

I personally, like video – but I don’t want to have to watch hours of video for something that is better written. Then its no fun trying to decipher writing when something would be better presented as a quick video. So it’s really important that you make sure the medium you choose is the most appropriate for the information you are presenting. Great comments!

Thanks for visiting,
Gwen

Kathy Dobson from Outsourcing to the Philippines
August 16, 2010, 7:14 am

Hi Gwen…
Great info! I’ve copied your list…it put everything in a neat little package for me ;)
I am at the point where I am really trying to learn video. I know its importance in the marketing world…and, audio as well.

I love writing…so, hopefully I’ll love making videos too. I just have to get used to the way my voice sounds when I add audio to it!

Good luck with the challenge Gwen…
Kathy
Kathy Dobson@Outsourcing to the Philippines´s last post ..Outsourcing to the Philippines…Your Questions Answered

Gwen Tanner
August 18, 2010, 6:25 pm

In response to Kathy’s comment:

Hi Kathy,

You really need to create a video. Your writing is fantastic and will only be enhanced with your voice and images. I can’t wait until you release your video products!

Thanks for visiting,
Gwen

igor Griffiths
August 16, 2010, 2:32 pm

Hi Gwen

The problem with having so many choices is that you often find that as you produce the content for your creation, you begin to argue with yourself, as to whether it is a guide or a book or even a report. Often I have used all three in the same creation, and had to make a choice and edit the others out carefully.

Make the choice and stick to it, before you begin.
igor Griffiths´s last post ..The Facebook Guide

Gwen Tanner
August 18, 2010, 6:24 pm

In response to igor’s comment:

Hi igor,

Oh no, don’t argue with yourself! You are right, just pick one and stick to it. That’s great advice. Start with the one that’s easiest to create for yourself – if you’re a good writer, then write and ebook – if you are more techy and graphical, then create a video.

Thanks for visiting,
Gwen

Fran Aslam from kw LUV
August 17, 2010, 4:07 pm

Hello Gwen :

your post has the qualities of a good writer. No fluff only contents and orgnized content. It is a great psots that overview of information can be grasped with a glance.

I will like to read future posts too.

Since I am a part of 100 comments Challenge, I will request you to read my blog and place a comment.

Chat again
Fran Aslam

Gwen Tanner
August 18, 2010, 6:21 pm

In response to Fran’s comment:

Hi Fran,

I appreciate your compliments. I will definitely stop by your blog as I’m making my rounds on the 100 comment challenge. Looking forward to reading your post too.

Thanks for visiting,
Gwen

Daniel Sumner
August 18, 2010, 4:27 am

Hi Gwen,

Excellent breakdown of the ways to communicate your information good post

When I stated marketing all we have to play with really was eBooks and audio, video started to creep into the internet marketing scene a couple of years later. Now I feel it’s easier to create a video rather than build a 20k eBook explaining what you could in a 10 minute video.

However, I love writing and would always add an eBook or report to any product. A combination of all three can also command a higher price tag especially if you add your variations into the mix.

Cool post Gwen cheers.
Daniel Sumner´s last post ..Self Learning – Outsourcing – Student and Teacher

Gwen Tanner
August 18, 2010, 6:19 pm

In response to Daniel’s comment:

Hi Daniel,

Wow thanks so much for dropping by! I agree that video, once you get the hang of it, is quick and addictive. You can definitely pump out products at super speed using video! But always adding an additional format can never hurt and is a great selling point.

Thanks for visiting,
Gwen

Craig
August 20, 2010, 1:49 am

Hi Gwen,

I am in the process of creating a new product on SEO. So this post has got me really thinking on which direction I should take. I have most of the content in the form of text with a few diagrams.

I was thinking of adding bonuses and possible an upsell on related SEO products and even an interview with an SEO expert.

So thanks for the post and I will have to get my thinking cap on now.

Cheers

Craig
Craig´s last post ..Put Your Email Marketing On Auto Pilot By Using An Auto responder

Joelle Hughes August 20, 2010, 7:45 am

Hi Gwen,

Thanks for the ideas on the different types of ‘info products’. Obviously, I need to expand my horizons.

What a great gift this business model is for those of us who love to write. It sure beats freelancing.

Good luck on your journey,

Joelle

SandyHalliday from Making Money Online
August 21, 2010, 3:28 am

Good tips Gwen. When selling an eBook it’s useful to make an audio recording of it and offer it as an upsell.

Sandy
SandyHalliday@Making Money Online´s last post ..Failure Is Not An Option In Making Money Online

Deb from Futures Trade
August 21, 2010, 3:48 pm

Thanks Gwen for this post.

I know many prefer videos, but I really prefer eBooks. I don’t have the patience to see videos, it is much easier for me to read and eBook.
Deb@Futures Trade´s last post ..Small Profit

Andy Brown
August 22, 2010, 7:34 am

Hi Gwen,

You neatly sum up this topic.

These modes of delivery will continue to change as they have done so over the decades.

I would suggest we are not internet marketers but we are instead information marketers – this allows us to think about delivery online and offline.

Additionally much can be learnt from the great direct marketers of the past, in particular their copywriting skills as this is why we have the long sales letters online.

All the best.

Cheers

Andy
Andy Brown´s last post ..The 4 Essentials Every Affiliate Program Should Have

Martyn Boaden August 22, 2010, 9:43 am

Hi Gwen. Great post. You could add live training to your list of information products, e.g. seminars, webinars, mentoring, etc. These are excellent back-end products to up-sell your customers in your internet marketing online business.

I’ve posted a link to this page on identi.ca for you (makes a change from Twitter!)
Martyn Boaden´s last post ..What Was Your Biggest Challenge When You Started Your Internet Marketing Online Business

Carstarphen
August 22, 2010, 11:51 am

Hey Gwen,
Thanks for jogging my memory for some ideas for information products.

How are you doing with this challenge? It looks like I will actually complete this one:) Let me know about the next one!
J
The Cartoon Coach
Carstarphen´s last post ..Which Online MLM System is really the best

Alex from first100items August 22, 2010, 11:26 pm

Hi Gwen
Excellent post. I love the color it puts into the norm. Great perspective on how to flair the ordinary. Can you make the lists just a little longer, say, maybe 100 entries in each column ; ) No one would ever run out of creative ways to deliver their message.
Thanks
Alex
Alex@first100items´s last post ..Heating

Connie Chen from Seed Of Magic -True Beauty Tips
August 23, 2010, 11:21 am

Hello Gwen,

It is an informative peice of read you are sharing here. Thank you very much, you have break down different types of the product from each catagory. It is very useful to me as I am now planning on my ebook and I am trying to find out the direction of it. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers.

Connie Chen

Darren L Carter
August 23, 2010, 3:58 pm

Hey Gwen,

Good post on different types of information products you can make. I liked your list of different names for the kinds of e-book, video, and audio products.

Thanks for posting this!

Peace,
Darren L Carter
Darren L Carter´s last post ..Free Atomic Bomb Survivor Inspiration Book – Finished!!

Rob Corrigan August 24, 2010, 12:05 pm

Hi Gwen, just reading your post reminded me of hoe much IM marketing has changed in the past few years. Selling simple ebooks only doesn’t cut the mustard anymore, our buyers are more sophisticated and need to be offered top value/

Best wishes
Rob
Rob Corrigan´s last post ..What Is The Cheapest Way To Start A Business Part 2

Melanie Kissell
August 25, 2010, 12:17 am

And if anyone would like to take a look at the first “original” information product …

Walk into Borders or Barnes and Noble! Books have been around and in our hands for centuries. Now, with the inception of internet technology, we get to create digital versions of the original information product.

Ahhh … good old fashioned progress. :)

Great post!
Melanie
31DBBB
Melanie Kissell´s last post ..7 Stifling False Impressions of Marketing Products and Services Online

Daniel M. Wood from Sales Techniques, Motivation and Success
August 25, 2010, 9:46 am

A information product can be packaged in so many ways.
You can make it a membership site or a email subscription or just easy as a ebook or video.

The possibilities are endless.
Daniel M. Wood @ Sales Techniques, Motivation and Success´s last post ..How to Use Motivation to Accomplish Your Goals and Start Living Your Dream Life

Andreas Spyrou
August 25, 2010, 12:36 pm

Hi Gwen,

Software is also an information product to keep in mind.

Many internet marketers create all 3 mentioned information products when they have a new product out there, so that they give more value to the potential buyer(s). There are people that prefer and learn easier by viewing a video than reading. Some other prefers reading a PDF document to learn something. Other prefers listening to an audio while driving etc. One of the easiest ways to create all 3 information products is by creating your video series first and then outsources it to a company to compile it into a PDF document and an Mp3 audio.

Take care,
Andreas
Andreas Spyrou´s last post ..The Biggest Affiliate Marketing Mistake – Mistake 6

Steve from bookmarking
August 25, 2010, 11:34 pm

Gwen, you’re a gem and you article is exceptional! It’s my new product creation blueprint and I’ll be sharing and returning to it again. Thanks for sharing and best of luck ahead, be well, Steve D.

Steve from stevetroutman.com/blog
August 26, 2010, 8:58 pm

Hi Gwen,

Thanks for the insightful blog post. I am working right now on product creation in a coaching program by Dave Nicholson.

I am a bit behind now but the course is very good so far and goes into great detail about product creation.

I think haveing your own product is the way to go.

Good luck to you in the challenge and I want to see your products you have.

Take Care,
Steve
Steve@stevetroutman.com/blog´s last post ..BoilerMaker 15K Roadrace July 11- 2010

Tamara from kids ghostbuster costumes August 27, 2010, 3:11 am

Hi Gwen,

This is such an important post.This is indeed a topic which has been ignored by many experts & professionals. You have done a great job by bringing this topic about information product into light. I hope quality discussions follow this post.

Great job.Many thanks for bringing this topic into light.Good luck with the challenge and with your business.
Tamara @ kids ghostbuster costumes´s last post ..Sexy Ghostbuster Costume

Brian Alcock
August 27, 2010, 6:25 am

Hi Gwen,

Thank you for your very informative post, it explains so concisely the whole process and the main options for product creation.

This is my first visit to your blog Gwen by way of the challenge and I shall be returning soon for more of your valuable advice.

Kindest,

Brian
Brian Alcock´s last post ..So You Failed…So What!!

Pierre Trudel
August 27, 2010, 9:49 am

Hi Gwen,
Thanks for the info.How to use and not abuse each one depends on your niche. Being yourself is the only unique thing we have. Using this uniqueness is what make us special.
We are Pierre & Pierrette and we are here from the 100 comment challenge at http://theequest.com/?p=3018.
Thanks for being you,
Pierre
Thee Quest For Perfect health

Abizer from internet marketing
August 27, 2010, 10:26 am

Hi Gwen

Creativity is key to internet business and I can say that since the last few years, my creativity has been on an all time low :-)

Great post and very timely – I say this because yesterday I participated in a giveaway event and have my ebook as a gift to my subscribers – and some more creativity to the usual ebook/report in the tile would help!

Thanks – I’ll be banging my brain for the next giveaway event a week after :-)

Wish you good luck for the 100 blog comment challenge and nice meeting you here!

Cheers!
Abizer

Mark Sherman
August 27, 2010, 7:40 pm

Hi Gwen,

If anyone didn’t know what an information product was, then they need to read your post. Information products can take on many forms and as technology changes, these products will also change.

Great post and keep up the good work!

Mark

Justin Case from dirt cheap costumes August 27, 2010, 8:01 pm

Hi Gwen,
Some have it and some don’t. You have it. Much said in few words. Good on ya. Good info. I’ll be digging into it more for sure.

Thanks and good luck,

Justin
Justin Case@dirt cheap costumes´s last post ..Cost Vs Price – Is There A Difference

Jacinta Dean from Creating A Business Online
August 28, 2010, 7:45 am

Hi Gwen,

Great article on describing our products. I often refer to my spray tanning ebook as a ‘training manual’. I don’t like using ebook. The product is a training manual and that is why I have called it so!

I finally got here!! :shock:

This challenge has certainly taken up a lot more time than I thought it would. Now that all the contributors are on board and I finally finished transcribing 700 audios last week I can blog hop and check on how everyone is going!

Hubby thinks my fingers are glued to the keyboard!

I hope everything is going well. See you back here soon. I am keeping a table on all the challenges and their comments.

Happy Product Creation!! :D

Cheers

Jacinta :D

P.S How’s the article challenge going?
Jacinta Dean @ Creating A Business Online´s last post ..The 100 Blog Comment Challenge Update!

LynnN from Online Auction Ideas
August 28, 2010, 10:55 am

Hi Gwen

Thank you for an excellent, concise and well thought out article. Although I prefer to read rather than watch and listen, not everyone is the same and, of course, audio and video often have a higher perceived value than a plain old ebook.

I’ve made a note of your suggestions and will keep them in mind when creating my next product.

Kind Regards
Lynn

Amy Steelman-Prueter
August 28, 2010, 12:40 pm

Great Post! You gave me some new ideas and I really enjoyed reading it.
Amy Steelman-Prueter´s last post ..Are you up for the Challenge

Sally
August 28, 2010, 2:37 pm

Hi Gwen,

Really good summary you wrote.

Do you know something, I dont know why more people don’t try out an actual real book????

Like you said, hop over to amazon and have a look, not sure if you meant people should create real books, but it just made me think that.

So many people use online marketing, it’s a shame more don’t look offline too.

Sally :)
Sally´s last post ..Writing Testimonials Benefit You Too

Fran T August 28, 2010, 3:57 pm

Hi, Gwen,
I love all your very useful tips on creating a product. The tips are all very easy to understand. Thanks for sharing. I will be back and subscribed to your rss feed.
Thanks,
Fran T
Fran T´s last post ..Nopalea and My Knee

Rick Byrd
August 28, 2010, 10:19 pm

Gwen:

Thanks for sharing the list of different types of products.

I was reading something the other day that you can turn written products, like articles and ebooks into audio and video products.

For me sometimes I like video and sometimes I just want to read so it is great when some marketers provide a transript of their audios and videos.

Good luck to you!